Having taken charge at a time when tremendous progress is being made by India both economically and technically, he is working with a clear-cut vision of keeping the PSG institutions updated. His belief that giving back to those who were a part of the PSG institutions have resulted in schemes like Special Health Care for Alumni. He has taken on the responsibility of conducting the centenary celebrations of GRD by charting out various activities which pay tribute to GRD’s vision. He is working towards making PSG institutions tower over all other institutions and continue its glory.
Trustees The 82 year old legacy of the PSG institutions has been handed down through several generations. In this time, the vision of its founder, P.S.Govindaswamy Naidu has only grown richer and more profound. Each time the baton is handed down to the successor of the Trust, the golden words, "Let there be charity, so others can share my family's prosperity" are embedded firmly. Education, one of the most treasured dictates of the Trust deed attains sharper focus. And the legacy carries on; carrying on its shoulders, the dreams of the youth, the fulfilment of the vision and the betterment of the future.
Successive Managing Trustees
PSG Rangaswamy Naidu ( 1926 - 1947 )
PSG Ganga Naidu (1947 - 1949)
Foundations of charity towards education started during his tenure. He is credited with the drafting of the original trust deed. Being the first of the trustees, he was the one who started the Sarvajana Higher Secondary School. He also took over two primary schools of district board of education which were functioning in Vedapatti and Peelamedu. First steps towards technical education were taken under his leadership, when he laid the foundation of PSG Polytechnic College.
G.R. Govindarajulu (1949 - 1972)
This self-taught agricultural scientist, recognized the importance of humanities and pure sciences in higher education and the demand for such an all encompassing institute in the region, and started PSG College of Arts and Science. He was a participant in the national movement and believed in providing free education for the deprived.
Professor G.R. Damodaran (1972 - 1978)
GRG, as he was affectionately called, is the longest serving managing trustee. He was instrumental in focusing on the development of the PSG Industrial Institute. It was during his time, the institute gained a sharp focus that has made it the nucleus of the PSG and Sons' Charities. Free health care was his dream and to fulfill this he started The Maternity Centre, now known as the Vedapatti Rural Health Centre and the Gandhi Rural Centre was opened to give the people of rural areas, better access to health care. He was instrumental in starting PSG College of Technology to offer science and engineering programmes. Realising the growing importance of management education, the diploma programme in management science was started in 1965 and subsequently it became a post graduate programme in 1971.
In 1966, GRG took the initiative to start the first private medical college in Tamil Nadu along with the Lakshmi Group. Land was purchased and a medical college building was constructed in 1966. The medical college was managed by both the PSG and Lakshmi Groups till 1969, when it was taken over by the Government of Tamil Nadu and renamed as Coimbatore Medical College Hospital.
G. Varadaraj (1978 - 1990)
This icon of education stretched the boundaries of the trust. He laid the plans which shaped the future of PSG institutions. On the industrial front, a new state-of-the art foundry was started at Nilambur by shifting the facilities from Peelamedu. As the years grew, the foundry gained prominence and catered to a large portion of the Industrial Institute's needs. As technological edge started making a difference in establishing core competencies, the crucial consolidation of the PSG College of Technology took place during his tenure. A variety of new courses was introduced in the PSG College of Technology. He introduced radical changes in the systems and took to institutions to great new heights and has been an inspiration to many of his students.
G.R.Karthikeyan (1990 - 2000)
After the first medical college started by the PSG and Lakshmi groups in 1965 was subsequently taken over by the Government of Tamil Nadu, Shri G. Varadaraj established the PSG Institute of Medical Sciences and Research. The PSG Hospitals was a natural extension of the medical institute. Whilst giving the public state-of-the-art medical facilities, it also helped students of the medical college, grasp the essentials of practicing medicine. During his tenure, the accent was laid on strengthening the foundations of learning already established by the PSG group. The Centre for Non-formal Education and the Centre for Sponsored Research and Training Centre were started as part of his contributions. The PSG Textile Research and Training Centre was also started during this time.
V. Rajan (2000 - 2005)
The onset of the liberalisation era, spurred him to expand the department of management studies into a separate management institute called the PSG Institute of Management. An increasing number of students started looking for opportunities in paramedical sciences. Thus was born the PSG College of Nursing and the PSG College of Physiotherapy. An entrepreneurial park, PSG STEP that provided the necessary fuel to accelerate the dreams of aspiring professionals, was set up during his tenure. Tie-ups with many foreign universities and leading Indian institutions like IIFT were results of his global vision.
G. Rangaswamy (2005 - 2011)
Modernisation of the infrastructure to meet the new age education system was his prime focus. Adding to the growth of the branch of medical sciences in to a state-of-the-art hospital happened during his period, the PSG College of Pharmacy was started under his aegis. The hitherto growth of the PSG group of educational and associated institutions was stupendous. As competition grew, it became imperative to stay ahead and focus marketing strategies on core competencies. PSG Centre for Advertising was born from the group's need for effective and efficient marketing. In the new millennium, primary education has also undergone a shift in focus. The PSG Children's school, focusing on developing the natural creative instincts of children was founded under Shri.V.Rajan's leadership. The group also established its stance in health care management by starting the PSG Offshore Health Care Management Services. A state-of-the art super speciality hospital was added during his tenure and hostel buildings in all institutions were renovated.
G. Rangaswamy internationalized education in the PSG Campus. PSG Institute of Advanced Studies was established to promote inter-institutional and international collaborative programs with universities in the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg and so on. A tie-up was established with San Diego State University, USA for student exchange. The MoU with Toledo University was revived by him and the first batch of students was admitted in 2006. In recognition of the successful partnership, the University of Toledo conferred upon him an honorary doctorate. Student exchange programs were also established with Australian University. A staunch environmentalist, he promoted various activities for the same.
He was the force behind the construction of a new library building, the Institute of Pulmonology and the Aesthetic Centre at PSG IMSR. Additional buildings were added in PSG College of Technology for the new courses introduced in the fields of Biomedical and Nanotechnology. A Fitness Centre, the International Students’ Block and a Food Processing Unit were started at PSG CAS under his aegis. He laid the foundation stone for the construction of a new hospital at Karadivavi on 2 acres of land donated by Mr. K. L. Varadarajan and family. The Badugas Association of Kothagiri donated land to construct a hospital at Kothagiri during his tenure.